Articulation and Cross-Registration Agreements

Printer-friendly version

An articulation agreement is a formal agreement between two or more colleges and universities to accept credits in transfer toward a specific academic program. As of Spring 2012, Burlington College has six such agreements. Additional agreements are under consideration, and students are encouraged to check with the Admissions Office for a complete list of colleges and requirements. These agreements include the following schools: Corning Community College, State University of New York, Fulton-Montgomery Community College, Nashua Community College, Orange County Community College – SUNY Orange, Raritan Valley Community College, River Valley Community College. In general, Burlington College encourages applications from community college students who have completed 60 credit A.A. degrees in liberal studies or general studies, or similar fields of study. Students without completed A.A. degrees are also encouraged to apply for transfer. Financial aid is available.

1. Linking Learning to Life (LLL)
Burlington College agrees to enroll select students through the Linking Learning to Life Program to help provide career exploration and college access. Vermont high school students should speak with their guidance counselor to discuss eligibility with the Linking Learning to Life program, including tuition stipends and dual enrollment. Students enrolled in the program are responsible for all lab and associated fees. View Articulation Agreement.

2. Central Maine Community College (CMCC)
Burlington College agrees to accept CMCC course credits earned with a grade if C or better pursuant to available equivalency tables and to apply them as appropriate to BC degree requirements for CMCC students who are accepted to and enrolled in relevancy BC degree programs. Likewise, BC agrees to accept graduates of CMCC degree programs listed below with a 2.5 grade point average or higher into programs listed. BC academic residency requirements still apply.

  • A.A.S. Criminal Justice (CMCC) to B.A. Legal and Justice Studies (BC)
  • A.A. General Studies and Liberal Studies (CMCC) to All B.A. Degree Programs (BC)
  • A.A.S. Human Services (CMCC) to B.A. Human Services (BC)
  • A.A.S. Human Services (CMCC) to B.A. Integral Psychology (BC)

3. Community College of Vermont (CCV)
Burlington College agrees to accept CCV associate’s degree graduates for participation in all Burlington College B.A. degree programs. All CCV students seeking transfer to BC will be granted academic credit for all college-level learning completed at CCV with a grade of C or better that is applicable to BC degree requirements. Any CCV graduate who completes and receives an A.A. degree from CCV will be considered an upper-division student at BC and assigned an academic advisor in his/her chosen major. It is understood that degree requirements differ between BC and CCV and transfer students may require additional coursework to satisfy BC Bachelor’s degree requirements. These may include unmet requirements in general education, in the concentration, or in the major. Bachelor of Fine Arts candidates must meet Burlington College portfolio requirements. CCV graduates may not be required to enroll in Research and Reflection at BC with a satisfactory written faculty evaluation in CCV’s SEI capstone course. View the articulation agreement.

4. Landmark College
Burlington College has a formal articulation agreement with Landmark College. Landmark students should contact the transfer coordinator at Landmark and/or the Dean at Burlington College for more information.

5. Vermont Law School
The purpose of this articulation agreement is to guarantee admission into Vermont Law School’s J.D. or Joint J.D./MELP degree program to Burlington College students who successfully complete BC’s requirements for the Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) and who also meet the following entrance requirements.


  • The applicant has successfully completed all requirements for BC’s bachelor degree program.
  • The applicant has completed a minimum of 60 credits toward the bachelor degree in residence at Burlington College with a grade point average calculated by the Law School Data Assembly Service (LSDAS) as the applicant’s cumulative GPA that is equal to or exceeds the average GPA of the first-year J.D. class in residence at Vermont Law School at the time of the BC student’s application to VLS.
  • The applicant has a current LSAT score (dated less than four years from the first semester of enrollment at VLS) that is equal to or exceeds the average LSAT score of the first-year J.D. class in residence at VLS at the time of the BC student’s application to VLS.
  • The applicant presents two letters of recommendation from Burlington College faculty, one which is from the applicant’s major field of study.
  • The applicant’s file, from his/her tenure at Burlington College and any other academic institution from which credits were earned and/or applied toward the BC degree, contains no evidence of character or fitness concerns that would generally disqualify the applicant admission into Vermont Law School.

No credit may be given by Vermont Law School for academic work completed before the student’s regular matriculation into the first-year of the J.D. or Joint J.D./MELP degree programs at VLS.

6. Cross-Registration Agreement with Champlain College and Saint Michael’s College
The cross-registration agreement is designed to allow undergraduate degree-seeking students in good standing to enhance their educational program by taking classes at the partner institutions as part of their regular course load. This agreement applies only to face-to-face courses offered during the academic year, not to summer session or online courses. Cross-registrations are accepted on a space available basis only, and are limited to one course per student, per term. Requests to participate in special programs (such as Vermont Woodworkers, travel programs, etc) will be considered upon request, but are not covered as part of this agreement.

Eligible students must be undergraduate degree-seeking students with a minimum enrollment status of three-quarter time (including the cross-registration course). The home institution receives the tuition and awards the academic credits for its own students. While there are no special registration fees charged to participate in the cross-registration process, individual students will be responsible for any normally assigned course fees. The registration process will not be completed until arrangements for payment have been satisfied by the respective finance office. Students will observe all regulations in effect at the host institution during the term in which they are enrolled, including but not limited to academic integrity policies, calendar deadlines, procedures for withdrawing from classes, and refund policies. Students must file a completed cross-registration form with the home institution’s Registrar’s Office in order to register. Subsequent approval from the host institution’s Registrar’s Office is necessary to finalize the registration process. Burlington College will automatically assume students coming from Champlain College and Saint Michael’s College will require letter grades in addition to the narrative evaluation. Students will need to make arrangements for parking privileges with the host institution and pay any associated fees. Enrollment in a specific class gives a student access only to those facilities at the host institution needed to complete the requirements of that class.

7. Association of Vermont Independent Colleges (AVIC) Semester Exchange Agreement
Burlington College has entered into an agreement with other Vermont independent colleges to offer a semester exchange for students enrolled in any one of the following schools: Bennington College, Burlington College, Champlain College, College of St. Joseph, Goddard College, Green Mountain College, Marlboro College, Middlebury College, Norwich University, Saint Michael’s College, Southern Vermont College, and Sterling College. This agreement enables students from these institutions to take courses at each other’s campuses. Students will be eligible to take courses during the spring and fall semesters.


Additional Articulation Agreements

Middlesex Community College MA
Community College of Baltimore County MD
York County Community College ME
Lakes Region Community College NH
Manchester Community College NH
Nashua Community College NH
River Valley Community College NH
Raritan Valley Community College NJ
Corning Community College NY
Fulton-Montgomery Community College NY
Herkimer County Community College NY
Onondaga Community College NY
Orange County Community College NY
Rockland Community College NY
Vermont Statewide Dual Enrollment VT
Vermont Woodworking School VT
Shandong Vocational College of Science Technology China