- About Burlington College
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Student Life
Distance Learning is a mode of instruction that meets the needs of students who want to learn outside of the typical classroom environment. This innovative style offers flexibility for self-directed, independent, and mature students to complete their degree by working individually with their instructors through independent-study courses. In order to be eligible for this mode of learning, applicants will have already earned at least 30 college credits from one or more accredited college programs, and must demonstrate strong writing skills.
Once accepted, students are assigned an Academic Advisor who will evaluate their existing credits for transfer, and will assist with the development of their degree plan.
Degrees eligible for distance learning:
- BA, Human Services
- BA, Integral Psychology
- BA, Writing and Literature
- BA, Individualized Major
- BA, International Relations & Diplomacy
- BA, Legal and Justice Studies
- BA, Media Activism
- BA, Study of the Americas
Other distance learning options:
- AA, Liberal Studies
- Certificate, Event Planning
- MA, Individualized Studies
Application Requirements for Bachelors Degrees:
- Writing Sample: a typed, double-spaced 5-7 page writing sample, preferably a research paper or essay from a previous college course. This writing sample is in addition to the application essay. Please note: In order for your writing sample to be considered for placement out of one of our required writing courses, please submit a 10-12 page research paper.
- Official transcript(s) from previous institution(s) should be submitted along with the application. An unofficial transcript should be submitted if there is a delay in getting an official transcript.
- 2 letters of recommendation that speak to the applicant’s ability to work independently and be a self-directed learner. At least one of these letters should be from an academic reference.
- Phone interview with Distance Learning Advisor and Admissions Counselor will be conducted after application is reviewed.
Download the Application Form
For more information about this and other Burlington College programs, please contact:
Admissions Office at Burlington College
351 North Avenue
Burlington, Vermont 05401
E-mail: admissionsburlington [dot] edu