- About Burlington College
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Student Life
Alumna Profile - Wanda Hines '08
Wanda Hines, Class of 2008
Bachelor of Arts - Individualized Studies in Public Administration & Community Development
Hines is the founding director of the Social Equity Investment Project (SEIP) of the City of Burlington. SEIP received second place in the 2009 national City Cultural Diversity Awards in Washington D.C., for creating an effective program designed to improve and promote cultural diversity through a collaborative process with city officials, community leaders, and residents. The award-winning program is listed in the national database for best practices.
SEIP is a social development resource. Its goal is to help the City of Burlington address equity issues by cultivating leadership from all ethnic backgrounds in the community toward creating more opportunities and improving quality of life. SEIP attends meetings to provide insight and knowledge about the impact of diversity, and offers support to government, non-profits and schools on how to address cultural conflicts and diversity bias in hiring processes.
Hines's current capacity-building venture is the Chittenden Demographic Initiative (CDI): "A Systematic Approach to Monitoring Racial Disparities." CDI monitors racial, ethnic and national origin disparities in education, public safety, health, economic development and civic engagement. SEIP hopes to facilitate new opportunities to proactively address disparities that may occur along lines of race, ethnicity or national origin.
Honors and awards
- 2010 - Inducted into the University of Vermont (UVM) - Alpha Chapter of the Pi Gamma Mu - International Honor Society in Social Science
- 2006 - Inducted into the Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, "Women's Basketball Hall of Fame."
- 2004 - Graduate, Snelling Center for Government, Vermont Leadership Institute
- NeighborWorks, Dorothy Richardson Honoree New England District award
- Women of Color Alliance award
- Vermont Heroes award, Burlington City Land Trust (BCLT) Community Service Award
- YMCA, Susan B. Anthony award
- Martin Luther King Jr. award
- St. Michael's College, Town Community Leadership award
- 1997 - United Way Speaker of the Year
- 1997 - Vermont Network Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault award
What's Next? Running for public office.