All faculty, students and staff will be required to present a valid Burlington College ID
in order to check out materials from the Burlington College Library.
What is available for check out?
- All patrons may check out hard copies books, DVD/VHS recordings. The library also has televisions and headphones available for watching materials on reserve.
- Only current Burlington College faculty, students and staff are eligible to access our electronic database materials off campus.
- Print periodicals are kept in the library and may be used by anyone in the library.
- The Burlington Free Press is available in the library daily.
Borrowing Policies by User Type
LOAN PERIODS FOR COURSE RESERVE ITEMS
Loan periods are determined by individual faculty.
Return all borrowed material to the Circulation Desk or the After Hours Return.
Patrons are responsible for materials until they are checked in at the Circulation Desk.
Renew books at the Circulation Desk. Renewals will not be granted if:
- The renewal limit has been reached.
- The item has a hold/recall.
- There is a block on the borrower's record.
- The items are non-renewable
At the time items are borrowed, each user is notified of the due date via a due date receipt. Please check the due date of each item you borrow and return materials by the due date to avoid charges. Overdue notices are sent to the primary email address you have on file with the Registrar Office. Failure to receive this notice does not excuse a user from overdue charges. At 30 days overdue a replacement fee is assessed and mailed to you.
FINES and REPLACEMENT FEES
There are NO OVERDUE fines on the general circulating books. However, you will not be allowed to checkout any additional items if you currently have overdue items.
All library users are subject to replacement fees. Library materials not returned within 30 days of the due date are assumed lost. The borrower of a lost item will be charged a replacement cost for that item. If you do not promptly return materials you will incur replacement charges.
Course Reserve fines are $1.00 per day, per item, with a maximum fine of $10.00 per item.
Students have an administrative hold placed on their records at the Registrar's office when a library invoice is issued.
Loaned items are subject to recall. The loan period on recalled items is reduced to 14 days from the recall date. Recalled materials are due by the revised due date and accrue fines of $1.50 per day after the revised due date. Borrowers are sent recall notices when an item's due date is revised; in addition, revised due dates are reflected in the online catalog. Please return recalled materials promptly as a courtesy to the next borrower.
To avoid recall fines, return all library materials (or arrange for someone else to return them) if you plan to be away from your local address for more than 14 days.
It is the library user's responsibility to maintain current address information. You are obligated to respond to all overdue, recall and fine notices. The College Library receives address information from the Registrar Office. Students should keep the Registrar Office informed of any address, email and/or telephone changes. All faculty/staff should inform the Office of Human Resources.
At the time items are borrowed, each user is notified of the due date via a due date receipt. Please check the date due of each item you borrow and return materials by the due date to avoid replacement fees. At 30 days overdue a replacement fee is assessed and mailed to you. Failure to receive this notice does not excuse a user from replacement fees.
Library materials not returned within 30 days of the due date are assumed lost. The borrower of a lost item will be charged a replacement cost for that item.
- The default amount for books is $40, plus a $10 processing fee ($50 total).
- The default amount for DVD's is $25, plus a $10 processing fee ($35 total).
- If the actual cost of the item is more than the default amount you will be charged the replacement cost, plus a $10 processing fee.
- Materials borrowed through interlibrary loan will have the replacement cost charged by the lending library, plus a $10 processing fee.
Unpaid replacement costs will be turned over to the college’s Business Office for charging against the individual’s account.
If a lost item is returned before it is replaced then the cost of the item is forgiven only the $10 processing will be charged.
LOSS OF BORROWING PRIVILEGES
Burlington College borrowers are blocked from borrowing when, they have overdue items or have an unpaid balance for lost items.