Burlington College will be hosting a food drive for donations to the Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf. The CEFS is the largest direct service emergency food provider in Vermont, providing food to over 12,000 people each year. According to the CEFS:
- 10.2% of households in Vermont are food insecure
- 20,400 children under the age of 18 live in food insecure households
- 37% of Vermonters could not afford either enough food or enough nutritious food last year
- 12,290 children in Vermont depend on food from food shelves
The Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf works to combat hunger in our local community by providing a monthly five-day supply of groceries to families in need. They also offer fresh produce and bread three days per week.
Donations can be made beginning Wednesday 11/9. All donations will be brought to the food shelf on Tuesday November 22.
Best Items for Donations
- Canned fish-tuna, salmon, sardine, etc.
- Peanut Butter
- Dereal-all varieties
- Canned fruits-all varities
- Canned vegetables-all varieties
- canned meat-beef, pork, chicken, etc
- Canned soups and chilli
- Bozed meals - Macaroni & Cheese, Hamburger Helper, etc
- Pasta and pasta sauce - all varieties
- Diapers - all sizes
- Pet food - all varieties